Saturday 3 January 2015

Oh Canada...

Snow from the Kitchen Window

On January 2nd, I made my trip from Glasgow, Scotland to Toronto, Canada to study at Seneca College. Before moving into student residence, I decided to spend a few days with family that I've never met before, which is where  I'm writing this post from. I'm planning to update my blog every couple of days about my adventure and experiences I gain from studying here...

So on Thursday morning, the adventure started bright and early with my alarm going off at 5am. After a good hearty Scottish breakfast at the hotel, it was time to check in for my 7 hour flight.

My parents walked me to security, where we then went our separate ways, with  only a few tears shed (quite surprising!).

The plane took off on time and everything was running smoothly, until an hour into the flight, a neighbouring passenger took seriously ill, resulting in the flight attendants focusing all of their attention on this one gentleman. Thankfully the plane was not forced to land, meaning we carried on our journey in a peaceful manner. Three movies later, two of which I thoroughly enjoyed, we began our descent into Toronto Pearson International airport.  As I was staring out the window to the perfectly white clouds, I soon realised that the clouds weren't clouds and I was actually being mesmerised by the snowy grounds of Ontario.

Landing in -18'c weather wasn't particularly enjoyable, but thankfully I was well prepared, wearing 3x shirts, 1x leather jacket and 1x duffle coat, as well as a hat, scarf and gloves.

My cousin Cameron collected me from the airport and drove me back to his home to meet his wife and kids, who were desperate to go play in the worst snow Toronto has had this year.

I was then picked up and taken to my place of stay for the next two nights with relatives Terri, Gail Nessie, and Bailey (the dog).  After speaking to my parents, I was given a very lovely dinner and got tucked up in bed for the night.

Today I went to the town of Dunville on the hunt for a pair of snow boots, but sadly there was nothing the slightest bit stylish for my outrageously big feet. But on much greater news, I had my first box of Timbits of the trip. It's safe to say I'm addicted to their amazingly tasty goodness, and will probably look like Timbit on my return back to scotland...

Tonight I'm going to visit some more people from the village and relax infront of the television ahead of tomorrow's big move to student residence!

Anyway, I'd better go and enjoy the rest of my PiƱa Colada (without getting caught in the rain) and shortbread!

Regan x

No comments:

Post a Comment