Tuesday 13 January 2015

A Mari Usque Ad Mare (from sea to sea)...

This first week at student residence has really opened my eyes to the student life of a Canadian, especially when it comes to food prices!

When I think of North America, obesity is one of the first thoughts that comes to my head, which made me wonder how it was even possible for people to become obese when food prices are so extortionately high.

Then I realised, the more chemicals that a food item is made up of, the cheaper the price. Pretty much the same as the UK.

When I was doing my food shop last week I was having to look for cheaper alternatives, for example, a 12 pack of Kraft Dinner (KD) was reduced to $5... for a a block of nice, non rubbery, cheddar cheese was $13, keeping in mind I'd still need to buy the butter, milk, pasta and flour to make macaroni cheese. Now given this ultimatum, the cash conscious student consumer will obviously go for the cheaper alternative, and I will admit that I did just that (sorry mum!).

For those of you who don't know what a Kraft Dinner is, its a macaroni cheese alternative, the box contains dried macaroni and a packet containing the most orange, chemical smelling powder I think I've ever laid eyes on. You mix the powder with butter and milk and voila!, rank macaroni cheese...

Having not read the packet instructions, I didn't realise that one box contained four portions... I NOW HAVE 48 PORTIONS OF THIS STUFF TO EAT... and I'm beginning to realise that the $13 dollar cheese would have been totally worth it.

It is with great thanks to the family I have in Dunnville for stocking my freezer with home made Scottish pies, which are ideal in this freezing cold weather we've recently been having.

So after procrastinating a  little bit longer, and having a rant about KD, its time to pop a pie in the oven and get on with some more exam revision!

Regan x

P.s.  sorry if anyone is easily offended by my remarks on Kraft dinners, but you know deep down my point is also extremely valid.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post. Sriram has hands-on understanding of insights in the corporate world. for more information please visit us at:
    Motivational speaker india

    ReplyDelete