Wednesday 28 November 2012

A Onesie? Or Just an Adult Babygrow?



The first casualty of colder weather is fashion, but does that make it alright to wear the adult baby-grow? 


Alexandra Shulman, Editor of British Vogue.
Amy Childs, Star of The Only Way Is Essex.















After recently listening to 'Women's Hour' on BBCR4, I started to question myself as to whether onesies were indeed fashionable, or whether they were something to be worn indoors on a chilly winters evening.   Amy Childs, star of 'The Only Way Is Essex', and British Vogue Editor, Alexandra Shulman, were interviewed and, as you can imagine, they both had very different opinions on the outfit.


One Direction.
Since October 2012, sales of onesies have increased by 155%  in the high-street store Debenhams. 

Some women have been spotted wearing them with their hair curlers in on recent shopping trips. Meanwhile, men have been caught sporting the outfit on long haul flights and suffering in them during hungover lectures. (ahem!)


Whether this is due to their comfort or their fashion status is unknown, but with celebrities such as Cheryl Cole, One Direction and  Tom Daley being papped in the lounge-wear, is it really the new 'must-have' wardrobe item?


Amy Childs explained that the onesie is "bang on trend" and "SO in fashion." But which brand of onesie is she talking about? Primark's £15 version? One-Piece's £149 version? or maybe she's saying it to promote her own design, the 'Amy Onesie'.



Alexandra Shulman argued that onesies had been in fashion before, but not necessarily under their current title. She explained that the'onesie' had previously been called a 'jumpsuit', a 'boiler-suit', as well as a 'play-suit'. She went on to say that she thought that onesies were made to be worn inside, but that "it’s a free country and if you want to have your style reference being Tellytubbies it's over to you." She then stated that a onesie would never feature on the front cover of Vogue. 


I will admit that I do own a Primark onesie, but I would never wear it out of my bedroom. I use it as my overall for when I'm getting ready for a night out but that's it, and I doubt that I would ever invest in another onesie as I don't see them as fashionable. Being 6ft1, I don't fancy looking like I've been stuffed into an outfit made for someone half my height. Although in saying that, the new onesie that is featured on the Long Tall Sally website  is quite tempting... 

Regan x



No comments:

Post a Comment